The Fort Smith Utility GIS Department is growing and looking to fill a GIS Analyst position. To learn more and apply now please visit:
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the GIS Manager, this position is responsible for the development and delivery of geographic information in the form of digital and/or hardcopy data to the public, private sector, and other City departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following: Other duties may be assigned. Note: All City of Fort Smith positions require the employee to provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees, and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive. Must show cooperation and respect to fellow employees and supervisors at all times.
• Assist in analyzing and implementing GIS functionality pertaining to map production, database, and application development in support of City Utility business processes.
• Assist in developing GIS methodologies and techniques in support of City Utility business processes.
• Acquire and maintain GIS data and coordinate database updates and apply quality control assurances to ensure data accuracy.
• Prepare RFPs, evaluate proposals, and assist in vendor selection for GIS hardware, software and services
• Train Utility staff in the operation of ESRI GIS software, and the query and display of geographic data.
• Responsible for the maintenance and quality assurance of Utility GIS databases.
• Develop and implement quality assurance/quality control methodologies for GIS data sets.
• Assist in developing and maintaining Metadata for GIS data.
• Assist developing and implementing GIS data structure and database design.
• Proficient in processing GIS data, application development, and/or map production using ESRI GIS software, including metadata.
• Assist staff and the public with questions, issues, or concerns pertaining to the City Utility GIS.
• Assist Utility personnel in the set-up, collection, and post processing of GIS data using GPS units and software.
• Participate in classes and/or attend conferences that are deemed necessary by the Deputy Director of Engineering and/or Utility Director.
• Follow City and Utility Department safety practices and guidelines at all times, including wearing proper personal protective/safety equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor's degree in Geography, GIS, computer science, Management Information Systems, engineering, drafting, surveying, cartography, or closely related field and three (3) years' experience in geographic information systems including the application of GIS software or similar software systems.
• OR seven (7) years’ experience working as a GIS professional.
• Experience with ESRI products and other enabling technologies, RDBMS, and internet mapping, mapping design, and cartography.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computerized data compilation and conversion techniques, and graphic presentation and production techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to direct and participate in the analysis, development, implementation and support of large-scale projects for geographic information systems.
• Ability to interact professionally with the public, management, and co-workers.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in written and oral form.
• Knowledge and understanding of networked system architecture and familiarity with Windows and mobile operating systems (iOS, Android).
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the duties and functions as defined in the job description for GIS Analyst/Data Administrator for the city of Fort Smith. The incumbent must have excellent communications skills in both oral and written forms. Organizational skills and close attention to details are required to successfully perform this job. The person must have a working knowledge of the operation and control of computer systems, database management, network security, net-working and telecommunications concepts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must frequently stand, walk, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color, distance and peripheral vision. Depth perception and the ability to adjust focus are also necessary.
The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions provided that accommodations comply with the City of Fort Smith's Alternate Duty Policy.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Notice of Consent Decree Posting
The City of Fort Smith, Arkansas ("City") has entered into a Consent Decree in litigation with the United States of America and the State of Arkansas ("Consent Decree"). The Consent Decree was filed on April 6, 2015, in civil action 14¬cv¬02266¬PKH, pending in the United States District Court for the Western District of Arkansas Fort Smith Division. The Consent Decree is available for review or copying on the City's website where it may be found at www.FortSmithWater.org.